Release 6.16/00 - 2019-01-23
This release brings several new features:
- RDataFrame offers several new interfaces, for instance
Graph; see the relevant release notes
MethodDLhas lots of news, for instance training and evaluation of the CNN on GPUs
We have added a couple of technology previews:
- a preview of C++ modules: ROOT 6.16/00 can now run with C++ modules as part of the dictionary. This accelerates the dictionary for frameworks and reduces their memory usage. It’s the result of several years of hard work, both on the clang side for the implementation of C++ modules, and on ROOT’s side, for using them in the dictionary context. We expect to offer preview binaries for the next patch release, 6.16/02. See here for details.
clad, the cling-plugin for automatic differentiation: ROOT is learning to take your function’s C++ declaration and create a new one that will return the derivative, “simply” by transforming the source code. We hope to turn this on by default for v6.18; for now see the release notes on
First and foremost, this release has many, many bugs fixed: thanks to everyone who has contributes with reports, reproducers and patches!
The release notes for this release can be found here.
Installations in CVMFS
Standalone installations with minimal external dependencies are available at:
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-fedora29-gcc82-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-fedora28-gcc82-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-mac1014-clang100-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-centos7-gcc48-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-ubuntu18-gcc73-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-ubuntu14-gcc48-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-mac1013-clang100-opt /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.16.00/x86_64-ubuntu16-gcc54-opt
Example for setting up ROOT from CVMFS
The entire ROOT source can be obtained from our public Git repository:
git clone http://github.com/root-project/root.git
The release specific tag can be obtained using:
cd root git checkout -b v6-16-00 v6-16-00
Windows 7/Vista/XP/NT/2000 are supported. We offer two packaging types:
- exe: a regular Windows installer package also setting up the required environment variables. With uninstall via “Control Panel” / “Add or Remove Programs”. Simply download and start, or open directly. You can double-click ROOT to start it, ROOT files get registered with Windows.
- tar: the traditional variant. Unpack e.g. with 7zip. Start ROOT in a Microsoft Visual Studio Prompt (in Start / Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio / Tools). If you installed ROOT to C:\root then call C:\root\bin\thisroot.bat before using ROOT to set up required environment variables.
Important installation notes
- You must download the binary built with the exact same version of Visual Studio than the one installed on your system.
- Do not untar in a directory with a name containing blank characters.
- Take the release version if performance matters.
- If you want to debug your code you need the ROOT debug build (you cannot mix release / debug builds due to a Microsoft restriction).