The GL module incapsulates ROOT's interface to the OpenGL rendering engine and provides the following functionality:
- management of system-resources;
- frequently used utility classes;
- base-classes for shapes, scenes and viewers;
- concrete implementations of shapes needed by TGeo package;
- concrete implementations of scenes and viewers including the GUI components;
- specialized plot-painters for GL rendering of TH2, TH3, TF2 and TF3 object as well as parametric surfaces.
Papers describing OpenGL in ROOT:
- ROOT 3D graphics, presented at CHEP 2006.
- 3D graphics with OpenGL: recent improvements and plans, presented at ROOT Workshop 2007
- Next generation of OpenGL support in ROOT, presented at CHEP 2007.